Monday, August 8, 2011

This too shall Pass

Days of luxury is over and I am back again to the reality. This is such a sad fact that "This too shall pass". How I wished that the last two weeks didn't end. I was having tremendous fun. I did not want to come back at all.
18 of us had been to Kochi in the last two weeks. We had been put up in a grand 3 star hotel with all facilities and VIP like treatment. The hotel was majestic. This was my first stay in such a big hotel. I shared my room with Trilok. We were given a suite to stay in. The suite consisted of one large hall with a sofa and a TV. There was also a bedroom which also had a TV. The thing that made me most happy was the WiFi. The internet was very fast. We were getting download speeds of 400+ kbps. I inaugurated my cells WiFi there. Apart from all this there was FOOD!!! Yeah that was something worth noting. There were 50 different varieties of food to choose from in every meal. It was tasty too. Everyone hogged a lot. I managed to gain some weight also. Apart from the training and sleeping, the banquet room was were we spent the maximum time. We have put up nearly 38 hrs in 12 days in that hall.
We had to go for training everyday at 9 O'clock in the morning. A navy bus would come to pick us up. The training which was more of orientation continued till 1 pm. The navy base where we went was a training base for the officers and sailors. There wasn't much to be done there. The liaison officer had arranged for visits to different schools in the training establishment. Every school taught the officers a different skills. There were schools which taught them diving, firefighting, navigation, seamanship and many other things. I guess there were nearly 45 schools like that. We visited roughly 2 schools everyday.
Of all the schools the one that I liked the most was the diving school. There was huge 20 m tank where the divers train. They are made to go inside and weld or cut metals inside the water using some equipments. They are trained to carry out operations like salvaging and mine fitting there. We were also taken to the airbase where we saw many airplanes, helicopters and UAVs. The best part of training was the speed boat. We were taken on a combat speed boat and we were allowed to even drive it. The ride was adrenalin filled. Overall it was a good exposure to the defense equipments and their training process.
Sunday was the only off that we got in the two weeks time so we could not roam around much. Nevertheless we did see some places. We went to Athirapilli waterfall. This is the place where the movie Raavan was shot. It is a huge waterfall. We were not allowed to bathe below the fall but we did have a bath above the waterfall were the water was much more calmer. We also went to Kumarakom backwaters. We hired a boat house and ferried in the backwater for 6 hrs. The scenic beauty was very mesmerizing. We enjoyed the view outside and before returning back we also swam in a channel. The water was clean enough to be enjoyed.
The whole thing appears as a dream now. The reality struck hard when 2 days back I entered the mess and the familiar stench hit me. If that was not enough to convince me that the dream is over then the horrible food followed which I had to force inside my stomach to stay alive. I then silently muttered to myself "This too shall Pass".

1 comment: