Friday, January 8, 2010

A Winter Afternoon

As it is I have taken up to sleeping a lot these days. Recently I have even discovered a very nice place to enjoy the afternoon slumber. It was a week back when after having a heavy lunch, as I always have, me and AP went to the terrace to bask in the Sun. That was one of the perfect afternoons. A heavy lunch was making me drowsy. I sat there for sometime talking to him. He had a book with him that day. He was trying to prepare for the upcoming companies. The weather was too good and it compelled me to doze off. I chose not to abstain.
I settled upon one of the several 1 feet wide ridges on the terrace to lie down. There was chillness in the air. The mild heat of the Sun was just enough to x out the chillness. It felt like I was covered with a blanket. That was one of the most relaxing feeling that I ever had. There was also this cold breeze which would pass once a while which would make me shiver. There were songs of Lagaan playing on a loudspeaker very far from the hostel. The intensity of the music was constantly changing. I believe it was because of the wind which was blowing. There was absence of the shouts of the hostelers. The sounds that I could hear that day was a treat to my ear. There was the chirping of the birds, the faint sound of the construction machines near hall-9, the doppler effect perturbed sounds of bus horns, the sound of the village children playing near the hostels and many more. In totality it was a big orchestra which I was enjoying. I laid there for nearly an hour and a half listening to all these sounds.
My body then began to ache as I was balancing on the hard surface with no space to move. I got up. My mood had become so great by then that when I got up I saw a whole new view of the campus. The Sun was setting towards my right. Towards my front there were few small houses and just beyond that there was pond. I had never before noticed the pond there. To the little left of this I could see all the previous three year hostels, Hall 9(1st) & Hall 3 (2nd and 3rd). That suddenly surrounded me with memories of my 3 and half years of college.
I remembered the first day in the hostel. I was among the first people to reach the hostel and I had found the place very big and confusing. I knew that this is not the biggest of the NITs but I was happy with the fact that it had a well defined campus as against the campus of the college where I had previously studied. I remembered the mess line which I, Arpit and Goofy would always break for the evening snax. That was the only edible part in the Hall 9 mess food. I could see the hall 3 room where I stayed in the second year with Laha and Neel. I remembered the smile on Naadu's face when I first met him. He made me feel that there was something wrong with me. It was only later I realized that his face has that permanent smile. One more thing that I remembered very vividly was the rainy day when our whole wing was cursing Pullu when he was going for the class. But he didn't even bother to turn back or stop. GRrrrrrrrrr..... Pullu!!! We had to attend the class on that day. Other things which I remembered were Neels non stop shaking leg which I used to call as a free source of energy, subhro's bhaang incidence, I remembered something also about Laha but I can't write it here :P and I could see myself on the terrace of both hostels with a cell phone.
Apart from these I saw Hall 4 where I remembered my robotics night outs with Shivek and exam time combined study with Shubro. Turing to a little more left I could see the mobile tower near the library and then Hall 1. Those being exactly opposite to the setting Sun. I could also barely see Hall 2. Most of its view was blocked by a tree. And then was the Techno.
That afternoon was truly an awe-inspiring perfect noon. Everything about it was perfect. So I am attempting to capture that day in this blog. It is impossible to cover every detail of that afternoon.
It is has got very late now. I did not realize the time passing. Suddenly I am feeling very sleepy after looking at the time. Going to sleep now...

2 comments: